arrival and changing stations and haulage in bold.
22 JUNE 2010
C 04 A
waiting for 221 122
( formerly "Dr Who" ) to take me to Manchester I noted 220 033
departing for Bristol Temple Meads at 1125, First Great Western's 158
749 departing for Brighton at 1131 and the same company's 150 266
Swindon bound at 1140. Also present was Arriva's 158 819.
IS perhaps not the
most desirable residence in Stockport. The main Manchester-London
railway line runs on an embankment along one side of the garden. On the
other, a heavy duty goods line [ shown in red on the map above] passes
within 60 feet of the house.
300 trains a day
thunder beside the bedroom windows of 15 Buttercup Drive, Adswood. It
so close to the railway lines that the crockery rattles about once
every four minutes and the windows are triple-glazed to keep out the
to a train spotter,
the house is paradise and five Stockport members of the Thermos
fraternity have clubbed together to buy it. Initially, it will be a
place to hang up their anoraks and observe passing Class 60
locomotives. Eventually they plan to turn it into a shrine to Tizer,
notebooks and Brownie cameras.
Thorley, 45, a
British Rail train driver, watched the house being built from the cab
of passing suburban trains. This year he, his uncle Eric, 78, and three
friends raised pounds 56,000 to buy it as a train-spotting base. Eric
Hobson, who sold his own house, will live there. 'We want the house to
be a shrine to the memory of everyone who has stood at this place in
the past with their Tizer and crisps,' Mr Thorley said.
is one of the prime
train enthusiasts' spots in the country, and the first time for 33
years we have had a chance to move in on it.'
'Crossbridges', stands at the intersection of two major rail lines. The
triangular garden is bounded on one side by the old London North
Western Railway, from Euston to Manchester Piccadilly, which still
carries all the main south-north passenger and freight traffic.
the other edge of
the garden is the old Midland Railway from London St Pancras to
Manchester Central. It was closed to passenger traffic in 1968 but
still carries three freight trains a day. At the apex of the garden the
two lines cross at a bridge.
the 1930s the
intersection was open pasture and a big draw for train spotters but in
the 1940s a housing estate was built, blocking access. Last year
Stockport council demolished it and sold the land to a housing
putting down a
deposit, the train spotters persuaded the developer not to screen the
railway lines with embankments, trees or fences. The result is an
uninterrupted view of diesel electrics, track maintenance vehicles,
freight trains and excursions for 22 hours a day. 'It is great. There
is only one window of the house from which you can't see any trains,'
Mr Thorley said.
is triple glazing,
but we usually leave at least one window open so that we can hear the
must be one of the
best spotting places in the country. Nowadays we don't write the
numbers down, but we always have a look to see what's passing. There is
always something new. Occasionally even the Midland line can still turn
up a train we've not seen before. Once we had a Scottish loco go past,
and that was really exciting.'
A 17 A
waiting for 185 119
to take me to Oxenhome I noted 185 121, 185 128, 185 151
150 121, 150 142
046, 185 124
302 "Virgil Tracy", 150 140, DR73901
109 haulage to Windermere
23 JUNE 2010
124 was noted at Windermere station on the way to Lakeland Limited
although most of Wednesday 23 June 2010 was spent downhill at Bowness
andacross Lake Windermere, firstly aboard the MV Swan
At 10.5 miles
long and 200 feet deep in places, Windermere is both the largest lake
England and an official public highway.
Lake Windermere supported commercial traffic associated with slate and
mining, timber, wool and fishing and in the early 1800s White and
Ambleside operated a sailing package service.Their vessels carried passengers and general
goods between Bowness, the
Hawkshead Ferry, Newby Bridge and Ambleside, where service connected
Lancaster to Whitehaven stagecoach.The
full journey took 3.5 hours and return fares were 1/- Ambleside to
to the Hawkshead Ferry 1/6
and Ambleside to Newby Bridge 3/-.Considering that an agricultural worker
earned around 6/- a week at that time, fares were very high.Other ferry operators,
Braithwaite of Bowness, rowed passengers up and down Lake Windermere,
exchanging people and goods at Hawkshead ferry.
Wordsworth fiercely opposed the launching of the first steamer - Lady of the Lake - in 1845 but the
ceremony - pictured above - at Newby Bridge, reported in the
Illustrated London News, was attended
by many famous people including local sociologist Harriet Martineau and
Lady of the Lake, built by Richard
Ashburner of Greenodd
for the Windermere Steam Yacht Company, was the first steamer to
operate on an
English lake and was originally designed as a screw steamer. However,
at Newby Bridge was too shallow so paddles were used to reach to the
at the Swan Hotel along the River Leven.
the Lake was 80 feet in length with a beam of 11 feet 6
inches, a depth of
6.4 feet and a 20 bhp steam engine. Built of wood with a short bowsprit
white figurehead, her tall slim funnel - placed aft of the paddle boxes
painted black with a broad white stripe. Her hull was finished in black
gold and those among her 200 passengers travelling First Class were
enjoy a luxurious saloon fitted with mirrors and carpets.
the Kendal Cavalry entertained passengers on the maiden voyage to
dancing took place on the top deck.Lady of the Lake
continued in service
Windermere Steam Yacht Company launched a similar steamer, Lord of the Isles, in 1846.Unfortunately she was destroyed by fire in
1850 while moored at Bowness
In 1847 a
second company, the Windermere Iron & Steamboat Company, was
formed to run
cruises in conjunction with the newly opened Kendal to Windermere
attracted many holidaymakers and
in its first full year carried 120 000 passengers.The combined population of Windermere and
Bowness in 1851 was 2 085 but had grown to 4 613 by 1891.
At 2100 at
Low Wood near Ambleside on 1 August 1849 the Windermere Iron &
Company launched Firefly, a 75 foot
long steamer constructed by McConochie & Claude of Liverpool.Firefly
was economical to run, required only half the crew, burned a quarter of
coal and was faster than her rivals.
Iron & Steamboat Company commissioned a second vessel, the Dragonfly -pictured above - which was
was the largest
steamer on the Lake, 95’ in length and 16.5’ wide.
arrival of faster ships, competition between the companies began in
employed at the piers (later to be banned by the Bowness Local
and thousands of handbills were distributed.
Lady of the Lake was slower than her
rivals and often
when Dragonfly passed her on
Windermere, the latter’s band struck up “The Girl I Left Behind” – a
song of the day – much to the amusement of those on board who hurled
insults at each other as they drew level.After years of wasteful competition the two
companies joined forces as
the Windrmere United Yacht Company in 1858.
In 1865 the
Furness Railway Company resolved to build a branch line from Ulverston
Bridge and on 16 July 1866 an Act of Parliament was obtained to
extended to a steamer/train
interchange at Lakeside and the first official train to work over the
line, hauled by locomotive number 21, ran from Barrow in Furness on 1
introduced during the second half of the 19th
Century included the Rothay built
by the Lancaster Shipbuilding
Company in 1867 as the last paddle steamer for service on Lake
components were taken to the port of
Greenodd by the steamer Duchess of Lancashire and transported by horse
to Newby Bridge for assembly.The
had a rudder at each end to help it navigate the shallow waters of the
Leven at Newby Bridge. Rothay was
scrapped in 1891.
Company of Glasgow were awarded a contract to build Swan,
a 147’ long coal fired iron hulled steamer with a capacity
for 488 passengers launched in 1869. Swan
sank at her moorings at Lakeside in a gale in 1893 and, a few years
again after a collision with Tern
off Storrs Hall.Her
misfortune occurred on 27 September 1909 when she ran aground at Belle
in fog.She was
refloated two days later
when Tern and Swift
in tandem towed her back into the water.
Furness Railway Company purchased the cargo steamer Raven
from Seath and Company to carry mail, coal, timber, farm
produce and general cargo to the houses, hotels and businesses around
and to railway warehouses at Bowness and Ambleside. During the winter
as an ice breaker for the steamers which operated an all-year-round
until 1921.In 1922
Raven was withdrawn from
service and sold to Vickers Armstrong of
Barrow in Furness for testing mine-laying equipment.Eventually, after being abandoned at Lakeside
for many years, she was saved for preservation, restored and is
exhibited at the Windermere Steamboat Museum.She is the second oldest ship on Lloyd’s
Register and the oldest with
her original machinery.
the Board of the Furness Railway resolved to build two more steamers at
of £ 3 400 each “there being £ 12 000 in the steamer depreciation
contract was awarded to
the Barrow Shipbuilding Company who constructed near identical vessels,
Cygnet and Teal, which were launched at Lakeside in
1879 as the first steel hulled vessels on Windermere.Teal,
launched on 5 June,
weighing 52 tons and measuring 100' long by 14' wide,was fitted with a two cylinder steam engine able to propel 336 passengers at
11.5 knots and was
scrapped in 1929.
Cygnet was converted into a paraffin
motor vessel in 1923 before being withdrawn from service in 1936.However, she was used for
and relief work until the Second World War and, in 1947, was used
summer season when government austerity restrictions called a temporary
the running of coal fired steamers
the lake continued to grow rapidly during the Victorian era and in 1890
Furness Railway commissioned Forrest & Sons of Wyvenhoe, Essex,
and build a new steamer.Originally
have been called Swallow, a last minute change of heart resulted in the
being named Tern.Launched in June 1891 with a passenger
capacity of 633, Tern still sails today as the flagship of the
fleet - above - and is seen below in original condition.
later, Swift, the last of the coal
fired steamers, was commissioned.The
largest vessel ever built for Lake Windermere service, she was launched
at a cost of £ 9 500 with steam compound engines developing 63.75
horsepower and carried 781 passengers.Swift
sailed as a steam vessel until
1956 when her boiler burst and British Rail installed Glennifer diesel
in time for the 1957 season.She
in service until 1981 when she was laid up at Lakeside.Despite attempts to preserve her, Swift was broken up in 1999. Swift is pictured
below at Lakeside.
continued under Furness Railway ownership until Grouping in 1923 when
became part of the London, Midland and Scottish Railway.In 1935 the LMS resolved
to update and
improve the Windermere fleet.A
motor vessel, Teal - seen below -
was ordered from
Vickers Armstrong of Barrow in Furness, dismantled, rebuilt and launched at Lakeside on 4
ship by Vickers standards, Teal - the first new passenger steamer on Lake
Windermere since 1900 - measured 141' long, displaced 250 tons and was powered
to 11 knots by two diesel engines. She operated as a two
class ship with first
and second accommodation for a total of 877 passengers on three decks.
Her moment of
glory came in August 1956, when she carried Her Majesty Queen Elizabeth
the Duke of Edinburgh from Ambleside to Bowness.In 1990 the Queen kindly consented to resign
the photograph displayed on the ship to commemorate her visit.
Teal proved so popular that in the
following year the LMS commissioned
a sister ship, Swan, also
constructed by Vickers Armstrong.This
vessel - pictured below - made her maiden voyage on 24 June 1938 when
she carried delegates to the
37th Annual Conference of the Municipal Tramways
Association on a charter from Lakeside.Both vessels operate today under the
Windermere Lake Cruises flag and
have been much improved with new engines fitted in recent years.
For many years control of the steamers was in the hands of
Captain A.E. Willmott
the District Marine Manager and Harbour Master at the Port of Heysham,
assistant was Marine Engineer Foreman Richard Jones.After serving as an engineer on Elders and
Fyffes banana boats, Mr Jones joined the LMS and was posted to
wartime service as a
RNR officer ( when he was decorated ) he remained with the steamers
retirement in 1967.
numbers increased dramatically in the years immediately after the
War and the Windermere steamer fleet passed into the custodianship of
British Transport Commission on 1 January 1948.
British Railways ran regular excursions including one from Birmingham
Sundays for £ 1.00 per adult return.Passengers joined the train in the morning for
a trip to Windermere
station where they were allowed time for shopping before boarding a
Bowness for a lake cruise via Ambleside before boarding their return
Lakeside, arriving back at Birmingham at 0100.
1963 the British Railways Board, under the Chairmanship of Dr Richard
took over responsibility from the BTC.
line railway from Ulverston to Lakeside closed on 5 September 1965
steamers without a direct main line rail link.However, this branch was re-opened as the
preserved Lakeside and
Haverthwaite Railway with the first train running on 5 May 1973.
British Rail’s marine division was renamed Sealink and the Windermere
rebranded “Sealink Windermere.”In
Sealink Windermere was privatized and passed into the ownership of the
international shipping conglomerate Sea Containers who renamed it “The
Windermere Iron Steamboat Company” thus resurrecting a name from 1847.
Windermere Iron Steamboat Company passed to the Sea Containers
Orient Express Hotels and in May 1993 the company returned to private
ownership with the Bowness Boating Company.Today historic steamers sail alongside elegant
launches such as Miss
Lakeland, Miss Cumbria and Queen of the Lake.Collectively the company operates under the
Windermere Lake Cruises
house flag and services operate all year round. The 1/48
scale models of MVs Swan and Tern pictured below are on show at Bowness
to Lakeside after visiting the new Lakeland
Motor Museum at Backbarrow, the arrival of MV
happily coincided with the arrival of a train from Haverthwaite hauled
by 42073, a 4MT 2-6-4T introduced to the London Midland and Scottish
Railway by C.E. Fairburn in 1945. These locomotives can be
distinguished from the 1935 vintage Stanier 4MT 2-6-4Ts by the vertical
gap in the running plate ahead of the two cylinders. Brighton
built 42073 also features a self cleaning smokebox and carries the 56E
shedplate of Sowerby Bridge.
185 101 to Oxenholme
C 03 A
185 102 to Manchester
37 261 [ LANCASTER 221 109 ]
328, 156 461 Northern Rail Adelantes noted between
Preston and Salford Crescent
185 140 [ OXFORD ROAD 140
C 50 A
waiting for 221 124
to take me to Cheltenham I noted 142 045, 175 003,
185 147, 221 137, 323 327, 323 328, 390 040 "Virgin Pathfinder"
arrival and changing stations and haulage in bold.
22 JULY 2010
C 55 A
waiting for 170 673
to take me to Birmingham New Street I noted 158 766 and 158 769 ( both
First Great Western ) 158
884 ( in South West Trains livery but used by FGW ) and Arriva Cross
Country's 221 133 and 221 141 bound for Plymouth and Manchester
221 104 "Sir John Franklin", 221 126,
1057 C 20 A
021 to Manchester. [ 08 805 SOHO DEPOT]
66 0404, 66
091, 158 882, 390 021 "Virgin Dream"
66 566 (
STOKE ON TRENT
185 147, 390 011 "City of Lichfield"
170 309, Track Machine 75116
1246 C 28 A
150 to Preston [ 175 002 OXFORD ROAD ]
57 310 "Kyrano", 66 413
B 33 A
014 "City of Manchester" to Oxenholme
221 107 "Sir Martin Frobisher",
390 025 "Virgin Stagecoach"
133 to Windermere
24 JULY 2010
might be expected from the pun at the start of this section, my second
visit to Cumbria in 2010 was timed to coincide with the 10th annual
Windermere Air Show. However, due to low cloud and drizzle,
flying was restricted to Sunday - leaving the ground exhibits in the
Britain's armed services were well
represented with the Royal Air Force offering, among many attractions,
this replica cockpit of a Hawker ( later BAe) Harrier GR3. The
GR3 was a development of the Harrier GR1 which, when deployed by 1
Squadron RAF in 1969, became the first jet fighter bomber capable
of vertical take off and landing. The GR3 offered a more powerful
version of the Rolls Royce Pegasus turbofan engine as well as improved
attack sensors and electronic countermeasures in the ground attack
and Close Air Support role.
The simplicity and flexibility inherent in the Harrier design proved
their worth in service in West Germany during the Cold War .
Rather than being tied to a long, paved fixed runway which were
vulnerable to attack, Harriers could be deployed to short, rough
strips of ground and hidden under camouflaged netting from which they
would attack the enemy's approaching armoured formations.
RAF Harriers were also deployed to the Royal Navy aircraft
carrier HMS Hermes as part of the Task Force sent to recapture the
Falklands Islands in 1982, using basic landing grounds and flying in
weather conditions which would have defeated other aircraft.
Similarly, Harriers have flown with the RAF over terrain as
diverse as Norway and Belize.
further back into history was this Chevrolet "Pekinese"
Canadian Military Pattern truck, illustrating the manufacturing
might of the Dominion in the struggle for Allied victory over its Axis
German re-armament in the mid 1930s led to
discussions between the British War Office and the Canadian Army concerning the possible production
of military vehicles in Canada. During the 1914-1918 conflict there had been a Canadian corps in the British Army and it was assumed that Canadian forces would again be tightly integrated
with those of the Mother Country in any future war. As such, it would be essential that
Canadian-manufactured equipment be compatible with British standards and
Early in 1937, the Ford Motor Company and General Motors of
Canada were each invited by the Canadian Department of Defence to
produce a Canadianized prototype of a 15 hundredweight light infantry
truck that had then been recently adopted by the British War Office.
However, by 1938 Canadian military authorities had shifted their interest to heavier 4x4
and 6x4 designs and in that year Ford and GM were invited to produce prototypes of
a 6x4 medium artillery tractor derived from the British 6x4 Scammell Pioneer.
1939, plans had been prepared for the mass production in Canada of a range of
military vehicles based on fairly strict British specifications. These trucks
were originally designated "Department of National Defence (DND) Pattern";
however, when production volumes increased and it became clear that the
Canadian-built vehicles were to serve widely in the forces of other countries,
the class of trucks was redesignated "Canadian Military Pattern (CMP)".
Canadian military truck production included both modified civilian designs as
well as purely military types based on the CMP specification in roughly equal
numbers. Truck production was focussed on a broad range of medium-capacity
vehicles with jeeps - and trucks
larger than 3 tons in capacity - required by the Canadian Army purchased from
At the outbreak of World War II, Canada's relatively large and modern
automobile industry was shifted over to the production of military
vehicles, not least for the replacement of vehicles abandoned by the
British Expeditionary Force in the retreat from Dunkirk. The Chevrolet division ofGeneral
Motors of Canada Ltd and the Ford Motor Company of Canada displayed an
unusual degree of inter-company collaboration with the use of
interchangeable parts, and a number of CMP trucks were assembled from
Canadian made chassis and parts in Britain, New Zealand, South Africa,
India and Egypt. The only real difference was the choice of
engines, gearboxes and axles by the two companies.
Ford-built CMP trucks had a 95 bhp V8 petrol
engine while most of the Chevrolet-built CMP trucks had an
85 bhp straight six overhead valve engine, although an American
made GMC straight six prime mover was installed in the C60X 3-ton
Following British convention, CMP trucks had right hand
drives even though Canadians normally use left-hand drive vehicles
and the cab-forward "pug" noses were an attempt to make a compact
vehicle that could be efficiently transported by ship. However,
the use of relatively large North American engines made the cabs of the
CMP trucks cramped.
preserved Royal Canadian Air Force example numbered 42.48330 was fitted
with the final Pattern 13 cab, an entirely Canadian design made from
late 1941 until the end of the war featuring the two flat windshield
panes angled slightly downward to minimize the glare from the sun
and to avoid causing strong reflections that would be observable from
CMP specification - including just two wheels per axle - proved
versatile and formed the basis of a wide variety of different
truck types and armoured vehicles.
These included the general service (GS) body - seen above - as
well as water and fuel bowsers, recovery vehicles, dental clinics,
laundries, workshops, radio trucks, boat carriers and anti-tank
variants. Many of the CMP bodies were built by subcontractors in
Ontario and Manitoba.
Just over 400 000 CMP trucks were manuactured in Caada, accounting for roughly half of the 815,729military vehicles
made in Canada during World War II . The most prevalent type was the 4x4 3-ton
truck (including models C60S, C60L, F60S and F60L), with just over 209,000
vehicles made. In addition, roughly 9500 4x4 CMP chassis were made, mainly to be
used to build armoured cars and other vehicles in Allied countries.
truck production in Canada exceeded the total military truck production
of Nazi Germany where GM subsidiary Opel and Ford-Werke AG had been
pressed into service by Albert Speer. The British official
history of the war argued that the production of soft-skinned trucks,
including the CMP truck class, was Canada's most important contribution
to the eventual Allied victory. CMP trucks served in virtually
all the theatres of World War II and were also lend-leased to the
Soviet Union after 1941.
manufactured or modified war surplus CMP trucks were used after 1945 by
the armies of many nations and modified examples also found civilian
roles in forestry, grain transport, fire fighting and as snowploughs.
mankind even walked however, raptors like this Harris Hawk had
perfected flying. Parabuteo Unicinctus, to give its Latin name,
hails from Central and South America and is rare in group rather than
solitary hunting, with all group members sharing in the captured food.
Although still poorly understood as a wild species, it is thought that
the Harris Hawk inspired the Native American myth of the Thunderbird
and over the last four decades has challenged the European Goshawk as a
favoured bird among falconers. Harris Hawks
can be flown in groups, work with dogs and ferrets and can be flown in
a wide range of conditions to catch game such as pheasants and rabbits.
Harris Hawks very similar to this Silverband example are flown in
Gloucestershire and beyond by Falconry Displays.
to spot against the still-leaden clouds however were the six Yak 50
monoplanes of the AeroStars - the largest civilian aerobatic team
in the UK with 2010 marking their 13th consecutive season.
The display commenced with a series of full formation aerobatic figures
starting from behind the crowd. AeroStars are the only display team in
the UK authorised to do this by the CAA and subsequent set-pieces -
such as opposition passes - featured smaller elements of the team.
The Yakovlev design
number 50, or the Yak-50, is a single-seat, low wing, single engine,
competition-level aerobatic aircraft designed by the Yakovlev Design
Bureau in Russia in 1972, the year in which it also first flew.
At the 1976 World Aerobatic Championship Yak-50s took the top two
places in the mens and top five places in the Women's competition.
Although never an official Red Air Force asset, the Yak-50 was
used as a military trainer by other nations and by many military pilots
in s aero clubs sponsored by the USSR. It offered a far better
power to weight ratio than the older Yak-18A
and has a better climb capability than many World War II aircraft
including the Supermarine Spitfire and North American P-51 Mustang.
show stopping finale however came from the Falcons, the parachute
display team of the Royal Air Force who leapt from a single engined
civilian aircraft ( their more usual Lockheed C-130 Hercules, Boeing
Chinook or Westland Puma
being kept busy in Afghanistan ) to greet Windermere's Mayor. On
the way down their stack of steerable canopy parachutes was guided by
yellow and orange crosses laid out on the Glebe lawn while a flare -
visible from 30 000 feet - also produced smoke to indicate wind
strength and direction.
the motto "Knowledge Dispels Fear", the twelve RAF Falcons are drawn
from the ranks of Parachute Jumping Instructors (PJIs) who train all of
the United Kingdom's Armed Forces including the Parachute Regiment,
Royal Marines and other specialist units.
the first Parachute Training School was commissioned by Prime Minister
Winston Churchill at Ringway, Manchester, in 1940, the Falcons display
team can trace its origins back to "The Big Six" formed by PJIs
at Number 1 Parachute Training School at RAF Abingdon. The team first
appeared at the 1961 Farnborough Air Show and as well as jumping from Handley Page Hastings
pioneered mass-exit techniques from the ramps of Blackburn Beverley
aircraft. So popular were the Big Six that the team grew to
twelve members and were renamed the RAF Falcons in 1965.
Formation flying - now known as
relative work - and helmet mounted cameras were introduced in 1966
while highly agile Strato Cloud Square Ram Air parachutes replaced the
older round "Para Commanders" in 1978. In 2010 the RAF Falcons
use state of the art Performance Design Silhouette Canopy and trail
smoke from canisters rather than the bags of flour used in the 1960s.
The RAF Falcons have also been known to jump from the Douglas Dakota
of the the Battle of Britain Memorial Flight and during their three
years service with the team the individual members will make about 1
000 jumps, which count towards their qualification as Military Freefall
and High Altitude Instructors
months prior to their pre-season training, the RAF Falcons spend five
weeks in California, working on all the military parts of their role as
PJIs. Whilst on this detatchment, the three first year Falcons
undertake the Military Camera Course, enabling them to film all aspects
of parachuting used in today's armed forces. Both still and video
cameras are used during each jump
within the display season, and as well as providing footage for
debriefing and analysis it is the job of the Team Cameraman to ensure
that the RAF Falcons receive maximum publicity.
26 JULY 2010
185 125 to Oxenholme
508, 92 017 ( Eddie Stobart livery) 185 147, 185 149, 185 186 ( to
Manchester Airport from Scotland) 221 107 "Sir Martin Frobisher", 221
110 "James Cook", 221 114,390 014 "City of Manchester" ( southbound,
with coupler cover raised at southern end)
185 125 to
221 113 "Sir Walter Raleigh",
Network Rail recording train with yellow Class 31s top and tail.
to the 1307 to Bristol being cancelled due to a train ahead of it
breaking down I was unable to take seat C 16 A but found a seat on the
Bournemouth train - 221
- as far as Birmingham New Street. The picture above shows the outer
end of Platform 4 empty and ready to receive 221 123 which is about to
formate with the Class 323 unit next to the buffer stops.