Hucclecote Model Railway Exhibition will be held at Hucclecote Methodist Church, Caribrooke Road, Hucclecote, Gloucester GL3 3QP – on the Number 10 bus route from Gloucester to Cheltenham – from 1000 to 1700 on Saturday 17 June 2017.
Entry prices are £3.00, accompanied Children £1.50.
Visitors who have attended in previous years can confirm the warm welcome and the quality of the refreshmernts!
We hope the range of exhibits at this charity show will appeal to both keen modellers and local families. Previous shows have been enjoyed by all, not least for the excellent buffet.
Eleven working layouts have been booked, in gauges N to O with trade support from Penduke Models and Keith’s Bits and Pieces.
The 2017 poster shows ex GWR pannier tank 9600 at Merthyr Vale Colliery in 1969. Despite steam having finished on the Western Region in 1965, these locomotives could be seen at a number of Welsh collieries into the 1970s – this one was here until 1973, when it went for preservation. The colliery closed in 1989, and their last recorded locomotive was another ex-BR engine – D3014, now preserved on the Dartmouth Steam Railway at Paignton and named “Samson”.
Here is a preview of the layouts:
Puggie Dock by Rob Newman 7mm O Gauge
We assume that the location of Puggie Dock is on a small inlet somewhere on the coast to the west of the Firth of Clyde where there is a quayside and rudimentary dock facilities used by local craft, particularly ‘Clyde Puffers’, one of which is to be seen using the dock today.
The dockside tramway uses a variety of rolling stock obtained from former industrial lines, whilst the BR tracks see the types of locomotive to be found in Scotland in the 1950s/early 1960s. In Scotland, shunting locomotives were universally known as ‘Pugs’, and the very small variety used in some numbers on quaysides were ‘wee Puggies’.
Most of the locomotives and other scenic items have been hand built from kits, and grateful thanks go to Keith Blake, Aidan Houlders and Peter Whyborn for building many of these, and to Andy Wilkie who assists with the operation of the layout.
The layout is used to publicise THE STANIER 8F LOCOMOTIVE SOCIETY LTD, owners of Stanier 8F locomotive No 48773 [also known as LMS 8233 and WD307] , currently awaiting overhaul and located in the Engine House at Highley on the Severn Valley Railway. In its BR days the locomotive was allocated during the late 1950s to 66A Polmadie [Glasgow] shed so may just possibly have worked a train to ‘Puggie Dock’…………
For further details about the locomotive or membership of the Stanier 8F Locomotive Society please ask one of the operators.
Wellington Street by Michael Bragg 7mm O Gauge
An 0 gauge Industrial Layout, “Wellington Street” is Michael’s 7th Earl of Dudley based railway. All of the previous layouts have been area specific so for a change Wellington Street incorporates a number of key elements from all over the Earl’s system. The name is a modification of Wellington Road which was at the Eastern extremity of the Earls system although it was out of use just after the Second World War. However, there was a short section of line from the Wallows to Old Park Engineering, so by twisting fact with more than a generous helping of fiction, (or should that read Modellers Licence), Old Park has become Doolittle and Waite casters and fabricators. The Wellington Road land Sale Wharf has been moved to Cradley Heath where the line crossed Forge Lane renamed Wellington Street and connected with the GWR via Cradley Goods Yard (not modelled). So what else has been moved? Well a dismantled rail bridge which carried the GWR line from Old Hill to Dudley known as the Bumble Hole line.
Cherrington by Phillip Bird 4mm OO Gauge
Although there exists villages named Cherington close to Tetbury and to the north west of Hook Norton, neither had railways, although branches could have been built from the Kemble to Tetbury line or the Banbury and Cheltenham line. Thus, this layout is fictitious and is designed as the real ones would have been, if built, to be a Great Western terminus but is set in the British Railways era of the mid 1950’s to early 1960’s. Traction is provided mainly by steam locomotives of the Western Region with perhaps the occasional interloper from elsewhere and in addition some early diesels and DMU’s may be seen.
The layout is built to 4mm scale and uses SMP finescale OO track for the scenic section and Peco OO for the traverser fiddle yard. The baseboards are built from 9mm plywood and are covered in cork to form the track base. The scenery is a mixture of textures using mainly either Woodland Scenics scatter or electrostatic grass. The buildings are a mixture of plastic kits, engine shed, signal box and yard sheds. A scratch built station building, station masters house, creamery, goods shed and weighbridge. The cattle dock is the ratio kit modified to fit the location.
Hergest by Peter Cullen 4mm OO Gauge
When the GWR extended its Leominster to Kington branch further on to New Radnor – Peter Cullen imagines – the new railway ran for a distance parallel to the old horse drawn tramway to Hergest Ridge. The tramway was upgraded to a steam powered narrow gauge line – initially using a variety of locomotives but subsequently making use of the ex Glyn Valley Tramway engines – including 0-4-2T “Sir Theodore” built by Beyer Peacock in 1888 – which were purchased from the official receiver in 1935 and regauged to 2′ 3″.
The GWR were persuaded to construct a small station at Hergest to allow a secondary interchange between the standard and narrow gauges. As well as serving facilities at Hergest, the narrow gauge railway provided the local community with a means of transporting incoming coal and outgoing stone and foodstuffs.
The layout is set in the autumn of 1947, a surfeit of ex- army road vehicles and the return to civilian life of men seeking work would lead to the closure of both the narrow gauge and standard gauge railways within the next five years.
A notice on the layout also declares that “The line was ignored by photographers and historians and following closure all evidence of the line has disappeared.” The Great Western Railway did in fact build a standard gauge line to New Radnor from Leominster via Titley Junction and Kington although I can find no reference to a horse tramway in the area. I am, however, impressed by the layout’s combination of an end-to-end 00 gauge high level system with an 009 oval and sidings underneath.
London Road Locomotive Sidings by Adrian Full 4mm 00 gauge
London Road Locomotive Sidings lie at the northern end of Westonmouth Central station, and provide a location for locomotives to stable between trips on passengers trains to and from all points on the BR Western Region. Diesel hydraulic types mingle with their diesel electric brothers providing constant interest and movement for the local spotters. Inspired by photographs of the cramped sidings at London Liverpool Street, the ready supply of information available on the internet produced plenty of data to design and build the layout. Whilst never claimed to be a scale replica of the original, it is hopefully recognisable, even if the “Western” based locos cause some confusion. Building London Road Sidings has been a very interesting process; sometimes following a prototype is restrictive, sometimes it allows a credible setting to be created without the risks of inconsistency a fictional location brings
D402 seen here was one of the fifty Class 50 Co-Cos were first leased to British Rail to cover the 1966-1974 electrification gap between Crewe and Glasgow before moving to Western Region to replace the Class 52 “Western” diesel hydraulics. After the introduction of InterCity 125 trains to Brunel’s billiard table, the Newton-le-Willows built Type 4s moved again to the former London and South Western Railway line to Exeter and finally on to engineering trains before withdrawal.
Altbahn by Gary Ball
This layout is based loosely on an area close to the French-Germanborder, within a National Park between Permasens and Landau, north of Strasbourg. The station midway at Hinterweild has a branch line which goes up to an area called Altbahn. The branch line goes over a level crossing, with working barriers. There is a chair lift that goes to a higher level.
All the loco stock is either French or German, with steam engines and diesel railcars. All the railcars are scratch built.
Bridgebury Gate by Russell Hobbs 2mm N Gauge
Bridgebury Gate is a fictional town somewhere in the south of England at a time somewhere between 1966 to 2000. The layout is 148th scale – N gauge and consists of a twin track mainline passing a station with twin island platforms and limited freight facilities. Change here for trains to “Mikel End” a somewhat ancient branch line that survived closure by being reduced to single track – the remnants of the double track might still be visible. Round the back we have 6 lane fiddle yard – each line each holding 2 6/7 coach trains or one really long
Manchester Collieries by Ron Pybus 2mm N Gauge
A DCC and part DC layout based on the Salford area of Lancashire with a concept of Manchester Collieries, with Pendleton Pit, the deepest coal mine in the UK, at one time managed by George Stephenson and Agecroft Colliery – its successor. The period covered is late 1960’s to mid 1970’s with diesel and the occasional steam loco. There is twin track main line continuous running and two collieries (one at the time of an explosion) plus a colliery three track siding as well as a separate station and goods yard. The layout owner is the author of “Designing and Building Model Railway Baseboards”.
Penbooney by Harry Harper 2mm N Gauge
Penbooney is an imaginary Cornish setting in the 1960’s steam to diesel transition era. An ex-Southern Railway branch terminates here, the most westerly reach of the Southern from Waterloo. An ex-GWR mainline runs along the clifftops across the estuary bringing trains from Plymouth, Exeter, and further afield. The model aims to give the impression that the scenery came first and the railways later. This layout was featured in the Railway Modeller June 2016.
Runport St Nicola by Alan Drewett 2mm N Gauge
Before the Manchester Ship Canal could be completed in 1894 the (fictional) aristocratic owner of the salt marshes between Ince and the River Mersey insisted on an aqueduct under, rather than a swing bridge over, the canal to be built to offer “free and unfettered” access between them and his oil refinery and model town of Runport St Nicola. A Midland Railway branch from there to Helsby then lined Runport St Nicola and its refinery with docks on the marshes. When the docks fell out of use in the 1990s they were filled in and the site became a regional airport for Liverpool and Cheshire – often used for diversionary landings from North America, Ireland and the Isle of Man. The variety of visible trains at the start of the 21st Century reflects this.