Model railway enthusiasts from all over Gloucestershire travelled to the Cheltenham GWR Modellers April 2018 Exhibition in aid of the Pied Piper Appeal at St Margaret’s Hall, Coniston Road, Cheltenham, GL51 3NX on Saturday and Sunday 7 and 8 April 2018 to raise money for The Pied Piper Appeal by enjoying the following attractions.
by David Stevens
0 Gauge 7mm Fine Scale
Isbury Road – a very fictional location – was an excuse for David to show off his collection of 0 Gauge engines. The DCC sound layout was loosely based on a former steam depot which, although modernised for diesels, retained its turntable. This allowed heritage steam locomotives to be turned, refuelled and watered after bringing charter trains to a nearby city terminus station. Apart from the turntable, which was built from a Midland Railway Centre kit, all the buildings and structures were scratch built and the track used was by Peco. This picture shows one of the Derby built 1Co-Co1 Class 45 “Peak” diesel electrics nearest the camera. Like the Swindon designed C-C Class 52 “Western” diesel hydraulic at its rear, these locomotives were a common sight in Gloucestershire during the 1960s and 70s while rarer visitors were Great Western “King” 4-6-0 “King George V” ( distinguished by the bell above its buffer beam) and the English Electric “Deltic” Co-Co seen here inside the grey shed.
by Swindon MRC
0 Gauge 7mm Scale
Wood Street was a minimum space industrial layout inspired by typical urban shunting yards that could be found throughout England. The time frame was deliberately flexible to facilitate the use of different member’s rolling stock – all fitted with three link couplingsfor manual operation – including a variety of small tank engines and diesel shunters. Structures and buildings were largely freelance although Wood Street was partly derived from a road in the Old Town of Swindon which still had rail access until the early 1970s. This was part of the Midland and South Western Junction Railway, also known as The Tiddley Dyke, which also served Cirencester, Chiseldon and Cricklade. Trackwork on the layout, including four points, was Peco. Seen here is one of the fifty-four permanent way brake vans built by the GWR in the last decade of the nineteenth century. Unlike the more common open verandah TOAD brake vans used on freight trains, these vehicles provided crew ridding and mess accommodation in addition to tool storage and train braking. They lasted into British Railways days and preservation.
ALSTONE SERVICING DEPOT
by Robert Webb
00 Gauge 4mm Scale
Robert and his dad Roger have been stalwart helpers in the organisation of the Cheltenham GWR Modeller’s Exhibition for as long as I can remember and this 6′ x 2′ two-board 4mm scale layout is easy to set up and play with at home as it is to exhibit. Alstone Servicing Depot was inspired, as Robert explained, on many Western Region and other depots that he visited with his father and friends in the early 1980s. The very impressive scratchbuilt water tower was based on the one visible from Bristol Temple Meads station at Bath Road while other scenic items – including magpies, woodpeckers, wood pigeons and a cat – were from Woodland Scenics, Busch and Penduke models. Track was Peco Streamline, and I also liked the way that Robert incorporated his keen interest in fairground rides. As well as his perseverance in making that red access platform from a brass kit!
by Phil Harries Barnhill MRC
00 Gauge 4mm Scale
Blaendare Road was a small terminus high above Pontypool set in the 1950s and 60s. The branch was built in order to tap the high quality limestone and dolomite outcrops from Cwmniscoy quarry. Blaendare Road enjoyed a frequent passenger service to Pontypool Road, Ebbw Vale and Blaenavon via its triangular junction with the Vale of Neath line at Cwm Glyn. Traffic from local coal, seed and feed merchants also kept the goods yard busy. The Peco Code 100 track – ballasted with Woodland Scenics medium ballast in the manner of Mystic Meg’s layout – featured points operated by Seep motors. All the buildings were made from kits – either straight out of the box or modified and the rolling stock was ready to run with a few kit built locomotives and wagons. Uncoupling ramps were a mixture of Seep and home made. Although at first glance looking like a typical Swindon designed 0-6-2T, former Great Western tank engine 373 was a 1919 vintage product of private Manchester builders Naysmith Wilson. The five strong batch carried the Bridgewater Foundry works numbers 1270-4 and became Taff Vale Railway A Class locomotives 135/6/8-40. Allocated new to Treherbert shed, 373 was withdrawn from Abercynon in August 1957.
by Mike Kelly
00 Gauge 4mm Scale
Caradon Junction was based on a small section of Coombe Junction on the Liskeard to Looe branch in Cornwall. The trains descend a 1 in 40 incline to the junction where passenger trains run into a dedicated small platform. From here they reverse and proceed back through the junction taking the branch line down to Looe. Freight trains, which due to the incline were quite short, were mainly made up of the distinctive china clay “hoods”. They proceeded on a separate track and under the bridge to the clay driers at Moorswater. In reality the driers were much further away and the model driers were more generic than being being a rivet-accurate copy of the Moorswater facility. The layout was based on the mid 1970s and early 1980s with blue diesel locomotives of Classes 03, 25,37 and 52 working alongside blue and white Class 121 “Bubble cars”. All motive power was DCC fitted with sound and the majority of buildings were scratch built.
by Peter Howells Warley MRC
H0 Gauge 3.5 mm Scale
The fictional GWR terminus at Burford was depicted as it might have been in the 1930s and is rare in being built kit or scratch built to 1/87 scale at the same time. It was completed just after World War 2 and has since been replaced with Peco Code 75 track. The baseboards were mounted on 2″ x 1″ timber, supported either by trestles or integral legs. Magnetic couplings were 4mm scale DG items and the signals – over 50 years old now – were operated by the wire in tube method. Control was analogue although the points were operated by more modern SEEP motors. Back in the 1930s, most farm animals were transported long distances by train rather than lorry and so required cattle docks to load and unload them. Before the coming of the railways, livestock had to be driven on the hoof to market.
GUNPOINT by Reg Owens Pontypridd MRC
H0 Gauge 3.5 mm Scale
Gunpoint was an imaginary freight yard servicing a mixture of industries, the location of which could be anywhere in the United States of America. This was deliberate as it allowed a variety of locomotives from different railroad companies in the yard. Rolling stock from both East and West Coast could be seen at Gunpoint and the time period was also flexible. Construction featured plywood decking on timber framing with folding integral legs. The PECO code 100 track was laid on a cork base and Woodland Scenics ballasted. The switches (points to us Limeys!) were controlled by SEEP motors conventionally wired and placed under the baseboard. The trackwork was wired for DCC with sound courtesy of Digitrax controllers.Most of the buildings were either built direct from kits or kitbashed.
009 Gauge 4mm Scale
This 009 model was based on Morewood Colliery and tramway, which was on the southern Mendip coalfield in Somerset. The colliery was sunk between 1860 and 1870 but flooded in 1873. It was then re opened about 1909 with the tramway constructed just ahead of the Great War. This led to the Morewood sidings on the Somerset and Dorset Railway, where nearby quarried stone was already being loaded. The tramway closed sometime between 1925 and 1930 while the colliery closed in 1932. The Somerset and Dorset Railway, originally built to link Clevedon with Bournemouth, eventually became a joint venture between the LMS and Southern Railways and was finally closed by British Railways in 1966.
The layout was mainly made of second hand materials, from baseboard framing to rails. The scenic areas were supported on pieces of corrugated card, crumpled a bit and glued down. Old newspapers formed the detail undulations and made a good surface on which to glue scenic materials. Rails were soldered together from 00 gauge components with pivoted points. All point and uncoupler controls were manual, using bicycle spokes or wires in tubes. Much of the rolling stock was altered from N gauge and the layout itself was self supporting with painted sheet board frontage and three post mounted spotlights. Moorewood colliery featured a working pit wheel and equipment in the winding house.
OLD TIME BRICKWORKS by Nicholas Wheatley
009 Gauge 4mm Scale
Old Time Brickworks featured a narrow gauge railway serving a fictional brick manufacturing plant somewhere in England. It was inspired by several real life brickworks with narrow gauge railways including Bursleden in Hampshire and the Old Kiln Light Railway in Surrey. The setting was almost timeless but the vehicles dated the layout to the 1960s and 70s.
The back story to the layout was that a group of enthusiasts had taken over a derelict brickworks and were resuming production for the specialist heritage market. They had also restored the narrow gauge railway and operated it with a variety of small diesel locomotives. The main manufacturing building needed some more repairs and, realistically, the site still looked a little unkempt.
In fact the main buildings were from Playcraft kit B805 – Old Time Brickworks – which was purchased in the 1960s and found in an attic nearly 40 years later. The Round and Beehive Kilns were from the American supplier Model Rail Stuff and bought about 15 years ago, or as I like to think of it, the pioneering age of Girls Aloud.
The track on Old Time Brickworks was relaid in 2018 with a simple continuous loop for bidirectional running. It has two sidings inside the circuit and one siding with a reverse headshunt outside. The track was mostly PECO Setrack, hidden beneath much ballasting, on which ran Minitrains diesels and Roco wagons with a Lilliput bogie van usually stabled next to a small goods shed. Occasionally coal wagons arrived to provide fuel for the brick works, along with special passenger excursion trains. The stacks of bricks and pallets – and road vehicles – came from various sources. Old Time Brickworks was first exhibited at the M5-M50 Narrow Gauge Modellers Open Day at Corse in October 2012 as a work in progress. Since then the scenery has been upgraded with the assistance of fellow group member Harvey Faulkner-Aston.
BLUEBALL SUMMIT by Andrew Bartlett
N Gauge 2mm Fine Scale
Blueball Summit was the result of Andrew Bartlett wanting to watch longer trains passing each other and make better use of his space at home. For this, N gauage was the perfect choice! Blueball Summit was intended to represent a section of mainline railway somewhere in Devon during the 1970s and early 1980s, probably through rose tinted spectacles. The location itself was entirely fictional although nearly all the buildings and structures were based on real ones and were scratch built from plastic sheet. In this picture one of the ever popular Class 52 “Western” diesel hydraulics passes Blueball Signal Box with a mixed freight while an English Electric Class 37 diesel electric heads in the opposite direction at the head of some Clayhood wagons.
FLYING COLOURS by Alan Drewett
00 Gauge 4mm Scale
Less than 10 years separated Louis Bleriot’s first flight across the English Channel in 1909 from Alcock and Brown crossing the Atlantic. In 1939, the Royal Air Force – founded in 1918 – was still flying piston engined biplane bombers. Ten years later it had the twin jet Canberra and twenty years later the thermonuclear armed trio of Valiant, Vulcan and Victor. Such was the pace of aviation development in the 20th Century – which continued into space. Only twelve years separated the first Sputnik to the first men on the Moon. And for every famous astronaut, thousands of technicians worked on rocket motors, guidance and life support.
Since the days of airborne assaults with gliders rather than gas turbine powered transport aeroplanes and helicopters – and the first jet aircraft themselves – flying machines have grown ever more capable and complex. Both aerospace firms – and the people who keep the aircraft in the sky each day – have embraced new technology to keep up. As a result, their working practices and vehicles have changed. Here, some Battle of Britain fighter pilots take a well earned NAAFI break surrounded by RAF vehicles and workshops while motorcycle outriders exchange messages.
My own display of 1/72 scale models was augmented on Sunday by fellow Jet Age Member Ryan Wheatstone who arrived with a great number of rocket and space themed items. Among them was this representation of one of NASA’s Voyager spacecraft.
The twin Voyager 1 and 2 spacecraft are currently exploring where nothing from Earth has flown before. Continuing on their four decade journey since their 1977 launches, they each are much farther away from Earth and the sun than Pluto.
Voyager 2 launched on August 20, 1977, from Cape Canaveral, Florida aboard a Titan-Centaur rocket. On September 5, Voyager 1 launched, also from Cape Canaveral aboard a Titan-Centaur rocket.
In August 2012, Voyager 1 made the historic entry into interstellar space, the region between stars, filled with material ejected by the death of nearby stars millions of years ago. Scientists hope to learn more about this region when Voyager 2, in the “heliosheath” — the outermost layer of the heliosphere where the solar wind is slowed by the pressure of interstellar medium — also reaches interstellar space. Both spacecraft are still sending scientific information about their surroundings through the Deep Space Network, or DSN. The primary mission was the exploration of Jupiter and Saturn. After making a string of discoveries there — such as active volcanoes on Jupiter’s moon Io and intricacies of Saturn’s rings — the mission was extended. Voyager 2 went on to explore Uranus and Neptune, and is still the only spacecraft to have visited those outer planets. The adventurers’ current mission, the Voyager Interstellar Mission (VIM), will explore the outermost edge of the Sun’s domain. And beyond.
Both Voyager spacecrafts carry a greeting to any form of life, should that be encountered. The message is carried by a phonograph record – -a 12-inch gold-plated copper disk containing sounds and images selected to portray the diversity of life and culture on Earth. The contents of the record were selected for NASA by a committee chaired by Carl Sagan of Cornell University. Dr. Sagan and his associates assembled 115 images and a variety of natural sounds. To this they added musical selections from different cultures and eras, and spoken greetings from Earth-people in fifty-five languages.
LLANGURIG HAULAGE by Peter Lee
Robert Wynn, from whom the company takes its name, was only fifteen when he inherited the already successful haulage business his father, Thomas, had founded in 1863, the year of Robert’s birth.
Thomas had been a carriage cleaner, who had recognised that the traditional transport of heavy loads by canal was being replaced by the developing railway system.
Robert was one of ten children and it was said of him that he was too small to harness the teams of several dozen shire horses that regularly transported flour from the mills in Newport, Wales and had to be aided by his elder sister Emma.
But he expanded the business rapidly, buying his late father-in-law’s timber haulage business and intensifying his own operation to meet demand from the increasing number of steel mills in the area. Robert invested heavily, in 1890 building the first boiler wagon capable of carrying 40 tons and in 1902 moving his entire operation, including over two hundred horses, to premises in Shaftsbury Street, Newport.
It was from here in 1923 that he incorporated the firm as Robert Wynn and Sons Ltd. Robert Wynn died in the November of that year but he left behind five sons who ran an increasingly strong family business that continued into the 1980s, when successive amalgamations saw the name gradually disappear. In those sixty years, Robert Wynn and Sons made a reputation for finding new and innovative solutions to the specific problems posed by the transport of difficult and indivisible loads. Not only did they have a permanent place in the Guinness Book of Records, but they pioneered huge developments in the field of heavy transport and achieved many ‘firsts’. Wynns Limited, founded by Robert’s great-great grandson Peter Wynn, has continued this pioneering transport tradition. 137 years ago Thomas Wynn’s first vision and mission was to compete with the railways and the canals. Now, with the restoration of Robert Wynn and Sons in 2000 as a subsidiary company responsible for the delivery and -where none previously exists – the creation of specialist equipment to make best use of the nation’s waterway network, the wheel has come full circle.
Peter also deserves special mention for filling a gap in the layout roster with his 00 gauge viaduct. Currently a static diorama, this is set to become an operational layout with the addition of fiddle yards at each end. Highly reminiscent of Ribblehead on the Settle and Carlisle section of the Midland Railway, it is in fact made of proprietary Hornby components and is seen here with Robert Webb’s example of “Peak” 45 149.
MINI SCENES by Tracey Lippit
T Gauge 1/450 Scale
As well as delighting visitors with her 4 and 2mm scale static dioramas in perspex boxes – usually involving BMC Mini cars, Tracey also brought along a T gauge railway layout with a 3 vehicle InterCity 125 High Speed Train orbiting a village at the foot of a dammed reservoir. British Rail’s InterCity 125 High Speed Trains ( HST ) of the 1970s were based on the power-car-at-each-end format of the Metro-Cammell Blue Pullman sets introduced in 1960, but used 2750 bhp Paxman Valenta engines to sandwich either seven or eight of the new 75 feet long Mark 3 carriages. These were some of the longest passenger vehicles ever seen on British railways but were criticised for using old fashioned slam doors instead of sliding or swinging plug doors. The name “High Speed Train” was first used in Britain by the London & North Eastern Railway for its Silver Jubilee and Coronation services from 1935. These featured streamlined carriages with – in the latter case – an observation car at the end, hauled by streamlined pacifics like the famous speed record holder “Mallard”.
SOUTHDOWN BUS GARAGE ON THE SOUTH COAST by Vincent Tweed
00 Gauge 4mm Scale
Southdown Motor Services Ltd was incorporated on 2 June 1915 as a result of the amalgamation of three companies. Its registered office was in Brighton and operations centered on the South Coast, mainly in Sussex and the fringes of Kent, Surrey and Hampshire. It operated stage-carriage and coaching services from its bus and coach stations throughout the area. It had a network of garages and a works at Portslade. The fleet colours adopted were Apple Green and Primrose for buses and two tones of green for coaches.
In 1969 Southdown became part of the National Bus Company (NBC) as a result of Nationalisation. The fleet was eventually repainted with buses in Leaf Green and coaches white. With Deregulation in 1986, the fleet reverted to the original company colours but in a modified form, and the operation was structured into divisions. It eventually became independent but was purchased by Stagecoach in 1989. With the fleet painted in the familiar livery of this company, the name “Southdown” was used but only for a short period. However, in 2003 the former company name was resurrected and it is now the legal lettering on buses operating as Stagecoach Coastline.
TO THE MANOR BURNT by Martin Nash
One of the great joys of the Cheltenham GWR Modellers Group Exhibitions is the unexpected takes on engineering. A visitor might have anticipated different presentations on the Great Western Railway or moving coal but how about a manor house burning down? Fire is a good servant but a bad master, and ever since man – uniquely among animals – first discovered how to create it the two have had a difficult relationship. On one hand, fire kept mankind warm, cooked food and warded off dangerous animals before boiling water to make steam. On the other hand, it required containment in stone or brick to avoid setting wood or other combustible material alight. Out of control, fire has burned down forests, entire cities and even parliaments – sometimes with truly horrific results. To counteract this, fire fighting technology has progressed from human water bucket chains to the kind of diesel powered ladder and pump appliance seen on Martin’s diorama.
MODEL BUS FEDERATION AND NATIONAL ASSOCIATION OF ROAD TRANSPORT MODELLERS Represented by Paul and David Mellor
TRAVEL 2000 by Andy Peckham
There is always something new and interesting to see in the room at St Margaret’s Hall that has become a home away from home for The Mellor Brothers and Andy Peckham. And on this occasion the line up included a series of model Alexander Dennis Enviro 400 double decker buses in build – ranging from resin components to primer coat and then finally the finished item in Paul Mellors North Western Road Car (Gloucester) Limited markings. The Enviro400 has been meticulously thought-out and built as part of a unique partnership involving Alexander Dennis Limited’s world-leading design and engineering teams, customers from all walks of the industry and suppliers with unique, specialist skills. This visionary, collective approach has resulted in a bus designed by the industry…for the industry. It is lighter, more fuel efficient, quieter, environment-friendly and has increased seating capacity. Enviro400 is class-leading in a vast range of ways, incorporating 200 improvements that introduce a wealth of benefits for operators, drivers and passengers.
Travel 2000’s depot meanwhile was transformed by an extension to the yard with a Gaugemaster backscene featuring the rear of typical British houses. Posed in front of it was a Volvo V9R with a wheelchair accessible Jonckheere body.
Also helping to make the show a success was the children’s 00 Gauge Thomas layout and modelling demonstrations by Steve Harrod, Mark Begley, Trevor Hale and Andi Dell. Traders included Cheltenham Model Centre and Penduke Models, Clive Reid, Stewart Blencowe,